Saturday, April 24, 2010

I have no idea why, but I keep getting internet explorer popups. But I'm using firefox and ie i

I use firefox and make sure that ie is killed (in the task manager), but advertising popups (like for brandarama, or sometimes ebay searches or something) just jump up randomly. No idea how it opens itself. I ran Norton, Ad-aware, and Spybot, and they all separately found minor things, and I deleted everything, but I'm still getting stuff. I had 0 problems prior to yesterday, it all just started. Thanks in advance!



I have no idea why, but I keep getting internet explorer popups. But I'm using firefox and ie isn't open!microsoft project





it might be entered in the registry. Make sure you are using a firewall software. Using a separate firewall other than the windows built in is better. Also Windows Defender is a good software if you can download it from Microsoft's website.



The best protection from such things happening is to use a limited user account to use internet . Do not use an administrative account, the viruses can install themselves, and make system wide changes if affected in an admininstrative account.



I have no idea why, but I keep getting internet explorer popups. But I'm using firefox and ie isn't open!microsoft powerpoint internet explorer



You are correct to run scans with Spybot and Ad-aware to prevent pop-ups because your machine is infected. But there is a trick so it will actually pick up ALL of the spyware and not just some. You need to run those scans in Safe Mode (tap F8 as the computer boots up and choose to boot to safe mode).



Ideally you should run a virus removal program in Safe Mode (without networking) and reboot and repeat the scan and reboot until there is a cycle where no virus is detected.



The idea behind the Safe Mode is that the operating system would only load your essential programs and drivers to the memory and hence there is a “high” chance that the virus-infected file is on the drive but not loaded into memory. This would enable the AV to clean it easily and the next reboot/scan would detect nothing. There could still be a small possibility that one of the drivers or programs that are loaded by the OS in the Safe Mode is infected. That’s why you need to keep rebooting and rescanning to make sure you’ve found them all.



It's good your using FireFox, it's a far better and safer alternative to Internet Explorer. If you add-on McAfee SiteAdvisor, it will warn you of potentially harmful sites. I also recommend CCleaner which is a free system optimization and privacy tool.
Make sure you have a firefall

No comments:

Post a Comment